January is a difficult month – everyone feels fat and cold 😞
Our students can be challenging at this point in the year.
Try any and all of these tips in your classroom to freshen things up and start as you mean to go on!
Happy New Year everyone!
- Prepare your classroom décor with upcoming dates/deadlines/holidays and any other important dates (even your birthday!)
- Make a list with students – what will they need for this term for it to be a success?
- Switch the seating arrangement
- Showcase exemplar student work at regular intervals (I don’t do this enough)
- Revisit the 3 R’ Respectful, Responsible and Ready to Learn
- Catch their attention – rowdy classroom? Have a look at Teach.com for ideas on how to get the students to respond well.
- Be positive – even if and when they aren’t. The first week back can be hard work – they often find the concept of motivation difficult after a two week break – ignore negative comments and behavior entirely and stay positive!
You’ve got this.